Summits Wayside Taverns - Home
Check out our menuCome on down!More about Summits Wayside TavernNews and EventsHave a little fun!Promotions and MerchandiseContact Us!Map of entire websiteSummits Wayside Taverns - Home


Beer

Brandy

Cider

Cordials & Liqueurs

Gin

Rum

Sake

Tequila

Vodka

Whiskey

Wine

 

Search

E-mail List

Summits Wayside Taverns - Home

Learn more about Tequila:

Tequila is produced only in Mexico from a cactus like plant called an agave. A wide range of agave exists but only the Tequilana Weber Azul agave is allowed to be called tequila. To produce tequila, the agave plant takes eight to twelve years to ripen before it is ready to be cut, cooked, fermented, and distilled. Tequila is legally protected by the Mexican government as an "Origin Denomination" which restricts tequila production to a small, well-defined region of the country. Specifically, blue agave plants used for the production of tequila can only be grown in one of five states: Jalisco, Michoacan, Nayarit, Tamaulipus, and Guanajuato. Like French wines grown in different micro climates, there is a distinct difference in flavors between tequilas grown for example in the highlands of Jalisco in the town of Arandas and those grown in the foothills near the town of Tequila.

The Mexican government also maintains strict control over the production of tequila and imposes exact regulations on its distillers, the most important of which mandates that all tequila contain at least 51% agave juice and be distilled twice. The remaining 49% liquid is generally cane sugar and water added during fermentation. Obviously, the greater the percentage of agave used, the better quality the tequila will ultimately become. Additionally, tequila is graded according to the duration of aging, usually in French oak or used bourbon casks.

As usual, Summits is long on variety and individual tastes. With nearly fifty tequilas, Summits boasts of one of the rarest and most complete selection of tequila in the United States. By comparing and contrasting the styles and age expressions of the various distilleries, Summits hopes you will have better appreciation and perhaps adulation for the essence of the distillerís art that is tequila.

Tequila Styles

Blanco or silver (BL, BL100)
Refers to unaged tequila. (BL100 is 100% agave)

Jovan Abocado or gold (JO)
Gives the impression of some aging, however, this is due soley to the coloring and flavoring of added caramel.

Reposado (RE, RE100)
Spends two to twelve months aging in oak. (RE100 is 100% agave)

Anejo (AN, AN100)
Is aged for a minimum of one year. (AN100 is 100% agave)
 

Summits Wayside Taverns®
Visit one of our locations around Metro Atlanta, GA

info@summits-online.com